Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Help Wanted

About a month ago, I went to the doctor for a complete physical because I hadn't had one since high school. It turns out I'm not the picture of health I thought I was, but that's a whole other post. When the doctor was looking me over, she noticed a couple moles on my back that should be checked out, and handed me a dermatologist's card. I went the following week, and the doctor thought the two moles should be removed. It was a simple procedure that didn't even require stitches. Afterward, I remember thinking about how good I felt. Until a couple hours later when the anesthesea wore off while we were in Target. I was so sore for about a week after.

Last week, the doctor himself called, never a good sign, to give me the results from the pathologist's report. Both moles were "atyipical," but they'd removed all the bad stuff from one of them. The pathologist thought it would be "prudent" to take more from the other side just to be sure they got it all. I'm thinking it's going to be another no big deal thing like the last time. Nope.

I got there yesterday, and they were all business. The nurse had me sit in the chair right away and sign some form. Then she explained what was going to happen and that I'd be needing stitches on the inside and outside. They were going in that deep. She also told me that I wasn't to bend, lift, or twist in any way that could possibly pull the stitches because it's on my left side almost to my shoulder blade. Do you have any idea how difficult that is with a toddler! They even had a receptionist help me get Abby into the car because they didn't want me getting her in and out of the carseat. They kept asking if there was anyone at home then to help me get her out. Um, no. Damon was getting off work in an hour-and-a-half, and we were to pick him up because my little Tercel finally died, so we ended up driving around until it was time.

So far, it hasn't really been all that bad. When I've had to pick up Abby, I'm careful to use my knees (like I should be doing anyway), and use mostly my right side. I'm sure I'll be sending an SOS when Abby and I get a serious case of cabin fever. It's going to be a long 10 days.


Maureen said...

Oh, how on earth are you supposed to not lift and twist with a toddler? I have a few moles(alot actually) that need to be looked at, but I dread going b/c I am scared to death of needles and stitches, etc. You'd think after giving birth, a C-section at that, that I might be a little tougher. Did they give you anything to take for pain once you were home?

Brandi said...

I was a big wimp about it too. I kept thinking, "I've given birth, for God's sake! This should be a piece of cake!" while I was laying on the table with a death grip on the pillow and my eyes squeezed shut.

No, they didn't give me any painkillers. The paperwork they gave me just said to take Tylenol for "mild discomfort." That's like comparing giving birth to having menstrual cramps. My back hurts!

Rachael said...

Oh girl! I hope you're recovered now. That sounds so painful especially without some drugs. I am terrifed of anything medical. I almsot pass out when I have my blood drawn LOL.
So do they think that this will take care of all the atypical cells?