Saturday, January 29, 2005

Bombs Away!

Abby hasn't pooped since last Sunday. At her 2-week checkup, her doctor told me to expect this. Sometimes babies go up to 2 weeks without pooping, and it is completely normal. There have been several times over the past week that she has had such stinky, powerful gas that we thought she was definitely pooping, but no luck.



Damon and I have a deal worked out for the weekends. I take care of the middle of the night feedings, since I'm used to them, and he takes her downstairs early in the morning. This way, I can get a few hours of uninterrupted, quiet sleep. I look forward all week long to these few hours because Abby is not there to provide her own soundtrack.



This morning, I was in that perfect sleep place. I was in the perfect spot on the bed, my pillow was just right, and I was between worlds: no longer awake, but not yet fully asleep. Suddenly, there is a loud pounding on the bedroom door. Being a new mom, I'm thinking the worst. I could only imagine the horror that awaited me behind that door. Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw.



There was Damon, holding Abby gently but as far away from him as he could, with poop everywhere. This wasn't just a normal poop; this was an explosion of astronomical proportions. Her whole bottom-half was covered in it. It was caked on her legs and feet, and her diaper was completely full. This was the first explosive poop she has taken, and it was huge! Thankfully, we had her in one of those sleepers with the feet instead of a sleeping gown. Otherwise, Damon would have been covered in poop too. Sadly, her sleeper was not salvageable. There was so much poop in the legs that we decided it was best to throw it away. We had to give her a bath after we were done because we just couldn't get it all. She just laid on that changing table and laughed at her inexperienced parents the whole time.



No comments: